Institute Library Trivia

  • The book mailing service was approved by members in the spring of 1960 and began June 1st of that year.
  • The current home of the Institute Library was built in 1878
  • Membership dues increased from $6.00 per year to $10.00 per year in January 1965
  • What is now the Biography Room was originally the Ladies’ Reading Room

Ladies reading in the Ladies’ Reading room in 1944

  • The Institute Library had 750 members & about 35,000 books in 1939
  • Cunningham & Son was a sail, awning, and banner company that was on the 4th floor of the current home of the Institute Library.  It closed in 1915

    Advertisement from the 1912 New Haven Directory

  • No other businesses occupied the 4th floor after Cunningham & Son
  • The air conditioner was installed in the summer of 1956
  • The third floor of the library closed in October of 1971 for financial reasons & was reopened as gallery space in October of 2011

Advertisements